bcWebCam is a simple application that uses your webcam to scan barcodes.
If you have a webcam for your PC or laptop, then you can turn your computer into a barcode scanner. This is especially handy if you have a bunch of items that you want to catalog. One thing to note is that you will have to have a pretty decent webcam that can focus on items up close to scan.
Once you have bcWebCam installed, launch it and you're greeted with a brief tutorial. bcWebCam should be able to detect your webcam right away. If it doesn't show up, make sure the drivers are installed properly.
The main interface of bcWebCam is dominated by a live video window. While bcWebCam can't do much but extract barcode numbers, it can sit in the background to scan and extract barcode numbers into a text field. For example, if you want to scan a product into Amazon.com, have bcWebCam running in the background while your cursor selects the search bar. The data from the barcode will be inserted directly into the search field.
Overall, bcWebCam feels like a workaround to get barcode data into a text field. We wish it had an option to search popular sites with the barcode information instead of forcing the user to navigate themselves.
- New: Allow only one instance of bcWebCam
- Fixed: Crash if webcam is in use by other applications
- Fixed: Recognition of two barcodes in the same stream image confuses bcWebCam
- New: Support area with FAQ
- New Features: WebCam Selection Dialog, Result to Clipboard, Invert Image Data
- Demo Mode for PRO1 and PRO2 Features integrated
- QR Code integrated
- First English version, older versions only available with German user interface